tel: (718) 502-1111
24-Hour Emergency: 917-682-0217
Serving New York City Since 2000
NY City 70% Visibility Standard
Click below for NY City Dept. of Small Business Services brochure on storefront design. FACADE: Guide to Storefront Design
Roll-down Security Gates: Visibility Standards
The New York City Administrative Code includes new standards that will make it easier to view a storefront or building through security gates. These roll-down gates must now provide at least 70% visibility.
New and Replacement Security Gates
For buildings in occupancy groups B* and M*, new or replacement gates must allow at least 70% visibility from the sidewalk when the gates are closed. This applies to new and existing buildings. However, buildings or structures that are designated landmarks or located in a historic district are exempted.
See NYC Building Code §1008.1.3.5 and NYC Administrative Code §28-101.4.3.
All buildings in occupancy groups B* and M* must have these higher-visibility gates by July 1, 2026.
Failure to Comply
Failing to install a roll-down security gate with at least 70% visibility is a major violation – unless the condition is corrected and the correction is certified with the Department of Buildings within 90 days of the violation.
Gates that are installed contrary to this law after July 1, 2011, the minimum fine or civil penalty is $250 for the first offence and at least $1,000 for each subsequent offence. Gates installed before July 1, 2011 are not subject to these violations.
See NYC Building Code §1008.1.3.5 for additional information.
1. Assembly (see Section 303): Groups A-1, A-2, A-3, A-4 and A-5
*2. Business (see Section 304): Group B
3. Educational (see Section 305): Group E
4. Factory and Industrial (see Section 306): Groups F-1 and F-2
5. High Hazard (see Section 307): Groups H-1, H-2, H-3, H-4 and H-5
6. Institutional (see Section 308): Groups I-1, I-2, I-3 and I-4
*7. Mercantile (see Section 309): Group M
8. Residential (see Section 310): Groups R-1, R-2 and R-3
9. Storage (see Section 311): Groups S-1 and S-2
10. Utility and Miscellaneous (see Section 312): Group U